29. Januar 2013

My interview - TNBTBH

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop (TNBTBH) is an international campaign where authors around the world tell what they are working on. All participating authors answer the same questions,  introduce the person who invited them and invite other authors.
Stephanie Berth-Escriva was so kind to invite me. Just twenty years old she traveled on her own to Paris. Since this France is her homeland. Stephanie is writing for big and small readers. Her aim is to turn questions and memories into words and to give them colors.
Here is my interview: 

What is the working title of your next book?
The title of the manuscript I am working on refers to a reflection of the protagonist, which brings her to a perfidious idea. I will not reveal the title until the working title has become a final booktitle.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
With the eye on real events I ask myself questions like: Is that what we believe having seen really that what has happened? Leads an event that is observed by two people to the same conclusion? Is it possibly to divide our way of acting strictly into cause and effect?
I am developing situations and characters in order to investigate explicit questions within the setting of a story. In other words: My ideas have always more than one source.


What genre does your book fall under?
It is going to be a crime novel.
 
What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
My protagonist stirs up a bee's nest, when trying to use her supposed knowledge about the circumstance of a death to her own advantage.

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
One reader of the treatment said spontaneously: "This is worth being a film!"
Now it would be so obvious to name a few actors. The manuscript is almost completed but I will not call it the final version yet. Thinking of a film version now would interrupt the creative process I am in. Therefore just this: Actually a real celebrity has a short but not insignificant presence. She herself would be the best cast: Victoria Beckham.
Regarding my already published books the casting is much easier.
Christoph Waltz would be my favourite as Lothar Winniefried (Mord! Elviras Weg zum Buddhismus). He has a narcassistic ego and is successful as long as a woman is supporting him. As his currently wife dies in case of an “accident” he sinks into a deep depression and doesn´t mind being nursed by his former wife Elvira.
Edgar Selge would be my favorite for the role of Mr. Keller in "Ein gewagtes Spiel". A woman is following him until she gets into his living room. For a long time she sits in front of him without saying a single word. Her silence is threatening Mr. Keller but actually it's his own conscience which makes him finally confess his crime.
Who can tell maybe Angela Merkel needs a new job after the election this year? She would be perfect for the role of Susanne Wachendorf (Die erste Zigarette). I want to emphasize, I do not mean there is a scary secret in Mrs Merkel's past. But like no other she knows what one needs to do to come to power, just like Susanne Wachendorf.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
First of all I will finish the final version of the manuscript. Of course literary agencies who want to support me and my work are always welcome to contact me.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
After the idea of the plot was elaborated, creating the first draft was pretty fast - a few weeks.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I am writing my own scripts, which follow my own intention. I don´t want to compare them with others. The Mona Lisa is unique although previously and afterwards excellent paintings of women have been created.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
The readers will find there alter ego in this story. Isn´t it so that we all are looking for success and recognition of that we are doing? That is the mainpoint of the story and the question: What are we willing to do, how far do we go, to get that confirmation?

I am pleased that these authors have accepted my invitation to "The Next Big Thing Blog Hop" and am looking forward to their answers:
Birgit Böckli
Susanne O´Connell
Marita Sydow Hamann
Irmgard Hiergeist


PS: I wrote this text by myself. As you see English is not my mothertongue. I regret any mistakes you surely will find in it. Anyway, I think it is a nice opportunity for me letting my friends outside Germany read about what I am working on.

Zur deutschen Fassung des Interviews